October equals Insanity

The life of a professional makeup artist often gets looked upon very easily: “Oh, you do people’s makeup? That’s… nice”. Only after I tell them I often do jobs for TV and the real fashion industry, they immediately respond with: “OMG, you do famous people’s makeup?”. The life of a makeup artist: It’s always about proving yourself, your work and everything you do, basically.

When I went through my agenda for October a couple of days ago, I had some sweat dripping down my neck..

One of my yearly assignments is Miljoenenjacht. A Dutch, expensive version of Deal or No Deal. In this show there are 24 gorgeous girls, all with a suitcase filled with money. Those gorgeous girls need makeup, pretty makeup. And hair, very pretty hair. I’m one of the people to give the girls pretty makeup. It always is so much fun giving the girls a dash of glamour and having a laugh while doing so.

This October we’re shooting six episodes for Miljoenenjacht’s Fall season. I’m booked for all six episodes. With call-times starting at 8 o’clock in Amsterdam I have to leave the house at 6:30 AM, yikes! But no pressure here, I’ve done this before, I can handle it all!

At least I thought I could handle it all until I got a call last week. On the phone was my Booker/Agency: “Nik, we got something out of this world for you. It’s a TV production, and they want you for hair and makeup! Are you up for it?”. – And there it was, in the blink of an eye my agent just offered me something I’ve always wanted to do. Be the Makeup & Hair person for a TV show… was this all really happening?

After negotiating back and forth the deal was closed. I was booked for the next day, which would also be my try-out. If the team and host liked me, I’d get booked to do the entire production.

I wake up the next morning and it’s time for action. I apply my makeup in the best way possible, tease my hair a little more.. got to look perfect for camera! I take a deep breath and drive off to Huizen where our first shooting day will be. After a hour and half drive, I arrive at location. A beautiful set located at Huizen’s harbor. I meet the Dutch crew and already feel the pure love these people have for their job. Then the American crew walks in, we do a little bit of talking: “You’re not from here are you? When did they fly you over?” SCORE! My American accent was convincing enough for the actual American crew!

After giving five beautiful models two looks, it was a wrap and both Dutch and American crew were ecstatic about the looks my assistant Lina and I made that day. I went home feeling proud and happy. I just did a production all by myself with an assistant, so surreal!

The next day I meet one of my best friends Joyce to do some shopping in always lovely Antwerp. After making my wallet anorexic at MAC, Bumble and Bumble and River Island we head back home. My phone rings, it’s my booker again: “Nik, Congratulations! The entire crew is in love with you. You’re doing the entire production… plus, you’re now their official makeup spokesperson for the show!”. WHAT JUST HAPPENED?

I can’t tell you too much about the show yet, but what I can tell you is that it’ll air on Dutch TV in March on RTL5. So Dutchies, keep an eye out for that.

Making a long story short: October is going to be insane. I got Miljoenenjacht, this new TV show, photoshoots, teaching at B Academy, learning hair at WE R and YouTube to take care of this month. Therefore, I hereby want to apologize for the lack of updates and videos on my channel and blog this month. I’m really trying to squeeze a video in here and there, but I promised myself to also give myself some time to recharge and actually enjoy the experience.

For now, thank you so much for reading all of this, and thank you for everything. Without all of you, I wouldn’t be where I am right now. Thank you.

This entry was posted in Personal. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to October equals Insanity

1. Dani says:

Wow that is an amazing opportuniy, congrats Nikkie! I’ll look forward to seeing the show in March! :) Good luck this month!!

2. Kim says:

Je hebt helemaal gelijk Nikkie! Geniet hiervan meis, want je hebt dit echt verdiend: Gefeliciteerd en ik blijf je gewoon lekker volgen :-)

3. Anda Zelenca says:

I’m so happy for you! You deserve all of this!:X

4. Benay says:

Wow, wat een geweldig nieuws! Geniet van alle mooie dingen die op je afkomen.

5. Silviya says:

I am so happy for you :)

6. femketje says:

zo awesome :D en veel succes met je drukke schema!

7. szafkaaa says:

omg nikkie i’m so proud of you! you deserve it like nobody else! your videos always make my day, but i can’t wait a little big longer if you’re chasing your dreams! :D

8. Inoes says:

Congratulations, dear!!!

If anyone deserves this, it’s you! You’ve worked hard to get here and you deserve every last second of it! :) Go and kick some major butt!

Van harte, lieve Nikkie!

9. Viv says:

Good luck! I always admire “people who do other people’s make-up” ;-)

I wish I could be that good at make-up! I think you’re the best! <3

10. Nathalie says:

I will probably never see the show, but I am so proud of you and happy for you, hard work always pays up, congratulations! You deserve it!

11. miki says:

wow I’m so excited for you!! got goosebumps reading this! good luck and ENJOY! you deserve it :D

12. Denise says:

wow reading this I’m so proud of you. You know how to chase after your dreams! You are so very talented and a huge inspiration to so many people. Really proud of you and thank you for sharing your life with all of us.

13. Gowthami says:

Super duper congrats nikkie <3 <3 :)

14. Wow, that’s sounds excited! I’m looking forward to see u in march!

15. Erika says:

Nikki – you are truly an inspiration! You inspire me every day to do a little more to become a better me. You are extremely talent and day by day…the entire world will experience your amazing talent. Huge congratulations on your newest assignment and all the great things on your plate.

Best Wishes from deep in the heart of Texas, USA
    Erika

16. Kathy says:

I’m so proud and happy for you, sweetheart! You deserved all of this. You’re an amazing person and amazing people deserve amazing things! Congratulations!

17. Monica says:

Congrats, Nikki! That is spectacular! It’s amazing how young and successful you are! I’m sure that you will do a wonderful job! Enjoy it! We love you!

18. Joy says:

So so ecstatic for you! A little sad that there will be less youtube for the month, but that’s just me being selfish ;) enjoy yourself to the fullest, you deserve it with all the hard work and passion you put in!!

19. Sojiran says:

Congrats Nikkie !

I’m so glad for you !
    Don’t care about the lack of news and take tooooons of pictures to show us your work ! ♥

Seeya

So’

20. Sharon says:

Wauw, wat een geweldig nieuws! Echt heel erg gaaf, je verdiend het! Ik ga zeker kijken in maart en ben onwijs benieuwd. Geniet van alle dingen die op je pad komen en heel succes met je drukke planningen ;-)

21. Zahra says:

Wauw Nikkie, wat super leuk! Geniet ervan en voel je niet te verplicht om heel veel filmpjes te plaatsen :)
    Echt iets om trots op te zijn!

22. Sarah says:

WOW! Congratulations! Don’t worry about uploading videos while you have so much going on, we’ll be here waiting to hear how your exciting month went :D XOXO

23. Laura says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! I started watching your youtube videos over the summer and ADORE you. You’re real and ridiculous and it’s totally weird that I am so goddamn happy for you, but I’m glad that you’re getting real world recognition for your work. Bummed, understandably, that I’ll be seeing less of you on the internet, but you deserve everything. Congrats again!

24. Cynthia Koch says:

Congrats Nikki.
    You are amazing and all the sucess is coming because of your efforts and capabilitity to do awesome things.
    You are a great professional and it is a pleasure to have the possibility to watch your tutorials and have some of your knowledge through your blog and the Youtube.
    Certainly all the work will be wonderful and we will be here waiting on updates.
    All the sucess girl!!!

25. Hilary Owen says:

This is some well-deserved success! You are on fire! We support you, girl! (and yes, your American accent is on point, with a little extra sexiness!)

26. Marta says:

You deserve this so much, congratulations!! You’re so talented and work so hard, everything you have is because you earned it. Enjoy this experience and be proud of yourself, and don’t worry if you can’t upload that much videos or write in the blog this month, we totally understand. I think you’re gonna be a great great makeup artist (you already are), you’re such a big inspiration, thank you for being there!
    Love from Spain ^^

27. Kate says:

<3 i just love you, and im so happy with you. I just dont know how ill put my hand on the show, but its just now…
    i Would love LOVE something more like daily vogl or so,

28. Carol says:

This is just the beginning! You deserve that and much more… A life filled with smiles!

29. Nancy says:

Nikki we love you and I’m SO EXCITED for you!!! That is amazing!! Congratultions and keep on keeping on! I can’t wait to be a Nikki Tutorials hipster and be like “yeah I’ve been following her for two decades now.” haha <3! Much love from the US! And yes, your English accent is pretty darn good!

30. Jiske says:

Waarschijnlijk ga ik dat programma in maart alleen kijken omdat jij de make-up doet :)

31. Lieve says:

Wat ontzettend fijn voor je, Nikkie! Je bent ook een echt talent en ik gun het je van harte! Ik ben benieuwd naar die nieuwe show (: Heeeeel veel succes deze maand,

xx uit Eindhoven

32. Katarina says:

Yay! I’m so happy for you Nick! I hope everything goes amazing and you rock their socks off! Love you!

33. Mulaty says:

Gefeliciteerd , dromen komen uit met hard werken.

34. Almira says:

OMG, je was in Huizen! Ik had je zo graag willen ontmoeten!

35. Lisa says:

Omg, congratz Nikkie! You deserve it all, and I can’t wait to see your creations on TV;)

36. Rania says:

You are well deserving of what life is giving you back Nikkie. You are a very hardworking, very organized person, and you are so beautiful it is almost unreal. We love you so so so much. I am a woman double your age 39 years old, I’m not a makeup artist but a makeup junkie, and you inspire me every single day. My favorite video of you is the May hits and Oh GOD no’s 2013, my mother noticed me when i watch this video laughs at me and say :”DO YOU WANT TO BE 19 AND AS BEAUTIFUL AS NIKKIE?”

37. Rebekah Haskell says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So excited for you. You deserve every bit of it :) And yes, your American accent is very convincing ;)

38. Pingback: Backstage with Andrej Pejic | NikkieTutorials